When the relationship between chair and chief executive is strong they are a dynamic duo, both adding value to the organisation. When the relationship is in trouble it’s hard on both chair and CEO and the organisation suffers. This digital event explores how to balance the roles and how to bring out the best in each other.
The day’s engagement will look at the CEO/chair relationship from both perspectives. It is an opportunity for you to hear from and share ideas with your peers. Topics include:
- What does the relationship look like when it works well?
- Practical realities and experiences from chairs and CEOs
- How to establish and develop a supportive culture
- How to deal with conflict
This whole day event (9:30 - 16:00) will be delivered digitally and will include three healthy breaks, breakout working groups, and encourages strong engagement from all participants.
The session is led by Jenny Berry, director of leadership and governance, Tom Andrews, head of member support, ACEVO and Ros Oakley, executive director, Association of Chairs. It will also feature a guest chair and a guest CEO to share their experiences. The session will provide you with:
- Frameworks for you to think about your relationship
- An understanding of common warning signs and what to do about them
- Insight into how other people manage the relationship and how they have overcome difficulties
- An opportunity to explore issues with your peers, chair to chair and CEO to CEO
- Time and space to decide ways forward with your chair or CEO
Chairs and chief executives are both welcome; we particularly recommend you come as a pair. It’s a good opportunity to take stock of and review how you are working together.
This practical workshop is open to all. ACEVO and AoC members receive a discount and priority booking (only one of you needs to be a member for you both to get a discount).